Insurance Agents

"There are worse things in life than death.  Have you ever spent an evening with an Insurance Agent?" 
-Woody Allen

The above quote is a common misperception of how people view Insurance Agents.  I thought I would take a minute to address my recent poll results.  Hopefully the next one will produce more response.  The question was asked.. What are insurance agents likely to be doing when not at work?  Unless you know some insurance agents personally it would be hard to say.  Let me give my quick insight into the personal life of an insurance agent:

I was introduced to the insurance business by my father who works in my same office right across the hall.  If you were to ask most insurance agents why or how they got into this type of work they would very likely tell you that it was a family member.  My grandfather started an insurance agency in Ogden, Utah which is run today by my uncle.  My father started with them and eventually was offered another opportunity and decided to join another agency.  We now have several generations of insurance agents working in the area.  I was never pressured into following my father's footsteps into this industry.  I think the things that appealed to me were the opportunities to make a good living, the flexibility of an open work schedule, the good people in the business, and the ability to work with and get to know people across all industries and organizations.  Now that you have some background info on me, what is the answer to the poll question?  Obviously, there is no correct answer.  I was looking to gather info on a perception more than anything. 

I have been able to meet alot of insurance agents by being involved in the industry.  My father has spent the past 25 years or so serving on various boards and committes of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America and has just completed his year as the National President of this organization.  Being involved with this locally and traveling with my father has allowed me to meet alot of people in the industry.  In general, these are very good people who although they spend time on the golf course can usually be found reading through policies and contracts, serving in a community or industry organization, and taking classes to further their knowledge.  Every Trusted Choice Agent makes a pledge of commitments to their clients which you can read here http://bit.ly/bEQN5V

It's true, insurance isnt the most interesting or attractive industry in the world.  But actually, most insurance agents don't get into the industry because they love insurance.  They get into the industry because they are usually very diverse people that like to be involved with many different things.  For me, the long and competitive hours of prospecting and presenting are generally rewarded with an afternoon of golf or a couple hours in the mountains or on the lake.  The late nights of reviewing a contract or returning emails allow us to take a vacation with the family and be there with our children when they have a baseball game.  I also enjoy the Exchange Club and other organizations I participate in that allow me to be involved with my community and give back to those who I can help.  Yes, we spend long hours studying insurance concepts and forms but in the end it turns out to be a very good job with many benefits.  I love insurance because it allows me to meet and work with many outstanding people and gives me the freedom to do the things that I want to do, whatever those things may be.